TWO HUNDRED ONE…rv’s, trains, and automobiles

I want to buy one of those sound machines from Bed, Bath and Beyond. We used to have and use 2 of them religiously. One for Cecilia and one for Abby and Phoebe who shared a room. “Used to” being the optimal phrase in that last sentence.

We ultimately got rid of them thinking, “Everyone will just have to get used to the ambient noises coming from living in a small space.”

Fast forward 4 months and I am the one who wakes up at 1 am to the sound of the passing train blowing its whistle, or the cars zooming by.

I woke up one night this week to the sound of 2 cars drag racing one another. I remember looking at the clock and thinking to myself, “Crap…2 a.m….I hope I’m not awake, awake.”

I knew it was only 2 cars, because they were shifting gears one right after another, putting their squeaky breaks on while zooming around a not-so-nearby corner, and leaving giant skid marks on the road. Obviously I didn’t see the skid marks, but I heard what sounded like…something you shouldn’t hear at 2 in the morning. I waited for the next few intense moments as they raced around town, just waiting to hear some sort of explosion. Of course it never came. Luckily for me, I have a very good imagination…and saw the whole thing go down in my mind: the car blasted off the side of an elevated bridge onto the street below, flipped several times and eventually caught fire which at last caused the engine to explode. It was gnarly.

That’s it.

I was awake.

201 d (1 of 1).jpg

There’s no going back to sleep after that drama.

Of course last nights sounds weren’t quite as dramatic as the car racing but the constant sound of cars going over an over-pass doesn’t quite lull me back to sleep. When I did eventually drift off, it was the trains turn…with it’s rumbling over the tracks and blowing its whistle every 5 minutes. Before I found my phone I thought it felt like the 5 a.m. hour. It felt as if I had slept well enough to begin my day.

Sadly, it was 2 a.m. yet again. I visited the restroom and wandered into the kitchen for a glass of water. When I made it back to bed, I tossed and turned for three hours… giving it my best effort. Taking a pillow from one location and adding it to another to find the perfect position…switching sides…trying to lay on my back…and then finally my stomach.

I must have slowly drifted off at some point. The last time I remember looking at the time, it was 5 something.

201 a (1 of 1).jpg

Here it is, 7 a.m. and Cecilia just appeared in my bed, out of and nowhere showering me with hugs and kisses, saying, “Good morning Mamma, wake up” demanding my phone.

All of the sudden, I feel as if I could go back to sleep. The site and sound of our beautiful offspring has a way of sucking the energy right out of me. Maybe instead of a sound machine which produces white noise, I should invent a noise machine which will allow me to record our beautiful (and in no way loud or annoying) children’s voices all day long, loop it, and play them all through-out the night. Maybe then I could resume my coveted sleep schedule.

No doubt today is going to be tough. I am 2 yawns away from visiting Starbucks this morning for #2 PSL (pumpkin spice latte) this season. I don’t care how insane it makes me. That last sentence was not entirely true…but I will take excited and insane over pure exhaustion any day.

One caffeine laden spastic energy drink coming up.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *